Burke County Sheriff’s Office second annual toy drive a success

Your Hometown

For some families shopping for holiday presents can be a stressful time of year. The Burke County Sheriff’s Office is working to ease that stress. 

Sheriff Alfonzo Williams says the sheriff’s office wants to bring smiles to the faces of Burke County’s youth.

“We were able to do all of these initiatives through donations from folks in our community,” explained Sheriff Williams. “Within in the CSRA, Augusta, Richmond, Columbia, and Burke County. All the counties came together to help us; we are glad to serve the community.”

Boys and girls had the chance to pick out a toy, some new clothes for the winter and take a picture with Santa Claus. Some lucky children rode away with a new bike.

NewsChannel 6 reporter Devin Johnson spoke with one mother who says the toy drive will help out her this Christmas.

“There are people out there that need more than I need right now,” said Lakeyshia Walker. “You’ll be surprised when you’re in need of things.”

Serving people in need is the Burke County Sheriff’s Office’s mission.

They received more than 200 bikes to hand out and hundreds of toys that kept pouring in.

“I just want my kids to have a good Christmas and enjoy it with the other kids,” explained Walker.

Walker told Devin, her family are grateful for Burke County’s efforts to make sure everyone’s holiday is a good one.

“This is a great opportunity for everyone. This right here is a blessing to many, knowing that they are doing this,” said Walker. “They didn’t have to do this for most families, but they did. I want to thank the Burke County Sheriff’s Office.”

“Merry Christmas from the Burke County Sheriff’s Office,” expressed the staff.

A few dozen lucky kids will also be adding some more Christmas gifts to their list.

The Burke County Sheriff’s Office will take them to Walmart for more holiday shopping as their second part of the holiday toy drive.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.