SUMTER, S.C. (AP) – Authorities say a 37-year-old sheriff’s deputy in South Carolina was shot and killed while trying to serve an eviction notice.
Investigators said Sumter County Sheriff’s Cpl. Andrew Gillette was shot in the chest by 56-year-old Terry Hasty and died a short time later Tuesday morning.
He was wearing a protective vest. Authorities say Hasty was also killed. Gillette was part of a sheriff’s office team that serves civil papers such as eviction notices.
The 12-year Air Force veteran had been a Sumter County deputy since 2013 and leaves behind a wife and child.
- Quarantine protocols and testing continue for Vogtle workers; no positive cases confirmed
- Parking lots in downtown Augusta become places of prayer and celebration
- Grovetown City Council to hold a special meeting regarding the City’s Emergency Ordinance
- Tough times ahead for event industry during social distancing
- Emmy-winning musician Adam Schlesinger dies from coronavirus