COLUMBUS, Ga. – The Georgia Supreme Court has granted a new trial to a couple found guilty of murder in the death of their newborn daughter.
The justices unanimously agreed on Friday that Albert and Ashley Debelbot recieved ineffective legal counsel. The Ledger-Enquirer reports that parents took their daughter McKenzy back to the hospital after discovering a lump on her head days after her birth in 2008. She then died.
An autopsy blamed blunt force trauma, but defense attorneys now say she had a brain deformation. The justices also say the prosecution grossly misstated the law when explaining reasonable doubt to the jurors.
- Suspending city ambulances will not reduce service Gold Cross says
- McConnell on GOP’s COVID stimulus bill: Some relief is better than none at all
- Second stimulus checks: No relief deal until after election, report suggests
- Local ministry and La – Z- Boy furniture providing furniture to families in need
- Daughter speaks after mother escapes extremely hot personal care home with carbon monoxide