ATLANTA (AP) – The family of Anne Cox Chambers says the newspaper heiress has died at the age of 100.
Her nephew, Jim Kennedy, announced her death to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, her flagship newspaper.
Chambers was a director of Cox Enterprises Inc. who promoted President Jimmy Carter’s political career and served as U.S. ambassador to Belgium during his administration. Forbes estimated her net worth several years ago at nearly $17 billion.
She was well known as a philanthropist, serving on the boards of the Atlanta Arts Alliance and the High Museum of Art among other institutions.
- Former Blue Bell president charged with trying to cover up 2015 Listeria contamination of ice cream
- Eating Local: Whiskey Alley
- LIVE TODAY: Alabama looks to extend historic ‘Third Saturday in October’ streak
- Remains found in search for 1921 Tulsa race massacre victims
- Big Game Bound Week 7: Battle of the unbeatens