BURGAW: Carbon monoxide poisoning hits 6 in NC family - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

Carbon monoxide poisoning hits 6 in NC family

Posted: Updated:
BURGAW, N.C. -

A North Carolina family of six is recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning after trying to keep warm during a winter storm by bringing a charcoal grill indoors.
    
Pender County Emergency Management Director Tom Collins said Thursday all six were transported from a home in Currie, an unincorporated community about 20 miles north of Wilmington. He says they were all taken to hospitals and are expected to survive.
    
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill.
    
The state's health agency urged residents who may have lost heat during power outages caused by the weather to leave generators, grills, or other fuel-burning devices outdoors. The Department of Health and Human Services said 400 people die and 20,000 need emergency treatment a year across the country due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.