Judge rules 'not guilty' in Duplin County sweepstakes case - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

Judge rules 'not guilty' in Duplin County sweepstakes case

Posted: Updated:
WALLACE, N.C. - A judge ruled “not guilty” today in Duplin County’s first gambling and video sweepstakes case to go to court.

Last year, the state Supreme Court upheld a North Carolina law banning sweepstakes machines. Since then, local law enforcement across the state has started shutting down parlors.

This September authorities charged a Duplin County man with six counts of gambling and six counts of video sweepstakes violations. The defendant, Gardner Payne, owns two internet sweepstakes cafes off Highway 41 in Wallace.

His case went to trial in late October, and today District Court Judge Henry L. Stevens, IV ruled “not guilty” on all 12 misdemeanor charges.

District Attorney Ernie Lee tried the case. He tells 9 On Your Side  the judge felt like the state had not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt and based his decision on several previous Supreme Court rulings.

Lee says he’s “disappointed” in the outcome of the case; but he and Sheriff Blake Wallace will continue to be “aggressive” in their sweepstakes crackdown.

  • Don't Miss It!More>>

  • Beach town's ban prompts battle over shave ice

    Beach town's ban prompts battle over shave ice

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:06 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:06:51 GMT
    A $3 cup of shave ice is at the center of a dispute in this beach town between street vendors trying to stay in business and town officials who say the vendors cause traffic congestion and increase the potential...
    A $3 cup of shave ice is at the center of a dispute in this beach town between street vendors trying to stay in business and town officials who say the vendors cause traffic congestion and increase the potential for...
  • Rare storm at California beach hard to see coming

    Rare storm at California beach hard to see coming

    Monday, July 28 2014 8:18 PM EDT2014-07-29 00:18:06 GMT
    A 20-year-old man died after lightning from a rare summer thunderstorm jolted a Southern California beach, injuring or rattling more than a dozen people, authorities said.
    A thunderstorm formed so rapidly over a Southern California beach that experts said Monday it was impossible for anyone to predict a lightning strike would turn a day of carefree fun into one of terror.
  • New fears about Ebola spread after plane scare

    New fears about Ebola spread after plane scare

    Monday, July 28 2014 7:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:46:12 GMT
    No one knows for sure just how many people Patrick Sawyer came into contact with the day he boarded a plane in Liberia, had a layover in Togo and then arrived in Nigeria where authorities say he died days later...
    No one knows for sure just how many people Patrick Sawyer came into contact with the day he boarded a flight in Liberia, had a stopover in Ghana, changed planes in Togo, and then arrived in Nigeria, where authorities say...
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.