Urban Ministry of Durham starts naming campaign - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

Urban Ministries of Durham starts naming rights campaign

Posted: Updated:
Executive Director Patrice Nelson holds a poster of bath towels that were named by a sponsor. Executive Director Patrice Nelson holds a poster of bath towels that were named by a sponsor.
DURHAM, N.C. -

Urban Ministries of Durham is selling the rights to name just about everything in its building.

It's a fundraising effort called Names for Change. It started less than a month ago and has already raised about $25,000.

People from 151 countries have visited the campaign's website, namesforchange.org.

Visitors of the website can select the item they wish to name.

The cost to name an item ranges from couple of bucks for light bulbs to a few hundred for appliances - and even $25,000 to name the Urban Ministries chef.

"We want to emphasize that it is all of those little pieces of items that make it so critical to end homelessness for those in Durham," said Patrice Nelson, executive director of Urban Ministries of Durham.

When a donation is made, any creative name can be given to an item. An email is then sent with a poster image of the item and the name.

The effort is starting at the holidays but will continue indefinitely because the need is year round.

The Urban Ministries of Durham budget is $1.5 million. Of that, 19 percent comes from public sector money. The other 81 percent is private donations.

That money helps provide:

  • 245 people move to permanent housing
  • 650 meals a day
  • 420 households a month need food and clothing
  • 140 people a night in emergency shelter

The naming campaign has raised $24,340 since its launch.

The ministry said the top 5 most purchased items are:

  • Light Bulbs
  • Crayons
  • Tampons
  • Teddy Bears
  • Coffee Mugs
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.