Historic Augusta, Inc. is pleased to announce the recipients of eleven Awards given at its Annual Meeting held on November 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm at the Augusta Country Club. Historic Augusta recognizes outstanding historic preservation projects each year throughout the city.
Historic Augusta awarded the "Bill and Marie Bush Friend of Preservation Award" to the organization's past president and Augusta entrepreneur Clay Boardman for his continued dedication to the field of historic preservation in Augusta, and for his support of Historic Augusta, Inc. The Bush Award was established in honor of Historic Augusta founders Bill and Marie "Frenchie" Bush in 2012 and is awarded at the discretion of the Awards Committee to recognize excellence for a particular project or stewardship and advocacy of historic preservation in Augusta.
The 2013 recipients of Historic Preservation Awards are as follows:
• Robert A Fleming Jr. House, 838 Greene Street. Built circa 1899 by Robert Fleming Jr. in the Colonial Revival style, the home was rehabilitated for the owner occupants, Christy and Michael Beckham. The project is a certified rehabilitation using state tax credits.
• The Jacob Phinizy House, 529 Greene Street. Built circa 1882 in the Second Empire style house has been rehabilitated by 2KM Architects and serves as professional office space for the firm. The former funeral home had fallen into disrepair and was a target for vagrants.
• The Carr Building, 1204 Broad Street. Owned by Krista and Sean Wight, built in 1925, the building was historically occupied by retail stores. This certified rehabilitation enabled the owners to create two restaurants on the first floor and residential apartments above.
• First Presbyterian Church, 642 Telfair Street. Originally built between 1809 and 1812 according to plans by Robert Mills, with subsequent remodelings needed extensive renovations to the sanctuary. The historic windows were restored with 95% of the wood and glass preserved. The church is listed individually in the National Register of Historic Places.
• The Robert Fleming Sr. House, 834 Greene Street. Built circa1890, this ornate Queen Anne style home had suffered years of neglect and a fire in the rear of the home. This certified historic rehabilitation was completed by owner Matt Lewis and transformed the large home into residential apartments.
• The Baronowski House, 1327 Glenn Avenue. Built circa 1917, this Craftsman bungalow had been neglected through the years and had patchy roof leaks and other deteriorated wood detailing. The certified rehabilitation tax credit project was completed by owners Scott and Ryan Rhodes and is now their family home.
• St. Vincent's Hall, 1325 Greene Street. Constructed before 1890 and part of the Sacred Heart Church complex, the building was rehabilitated by the Knox Foundation in the 1980s and most recently served as the regional offices for the Girl Scouts. This rehabilitation reopened 5 original bays and new custom windows were fitted to the spaces. The building now serves as the offices of Raymond James and Associates financial advisors.
Historic Augusta also gave three awards for new construction. This new category was developed this year to encourage the owners of newly-constructed buildings to contribute to the neighborhood's character by respecting the location, design, materials, and other character-defining features of historic buildings in the neighborhood. Several criteria were considered, including whether an existing historic structure was demolished for the new structure. The awardees for 2013 included :
• 912 Milledge Road, owned by Mrs. George Ann Knox, and located in the Summerville Historic District. This outstanding home compliments the surrounding residential design, appearing to date from the same period, or earlier than many of the houses in the vicinity.
• The Augusta Convention Center, also known as the Trade, Exhibit, and Event (TEE) Center located on Reynolds Street within the Augusta Downtown Historic district. This project integrated a historic wholesale grocery warehouse at the corner of Reynolds and James Brown Boulevard in the overall design.
• 3009 Lake Forest Drive, owned by Mary Ashton and Matt Mills, in the Forest Hills neighborhood, was designed with attention to scale and proportion for the neighborhood and is infused with a sense of historic character defining features.
For more information, contact Historic Augusta at (706) 724-0436.
(Press release written by Julia Jackson)
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.