Health concerns have partially shut down an Augusta fire hall.
Firefighters at Station 18 on Windsor Spring Road are locked out of their upstairs sleeping quarters because of mold.
The problem was leaking duct work from the air conditioner, and that's been fixed. Now, the mold will have to be removed. Until that happens, though, firefighters will not spend the night at the station.
"They can't sleep in that bedroom. We don't want them to sleep in that bedroom until we correct this action so, right now, in the daytime they can be down the stairs and operate in that station. At night, they'll go a mile and a half down the road to Station 7. Engine 18 will still respond to all the calls in that area at night until we can get this repaired," said Fire Chief Christopher James.
Chief James says, at this time, he doesn't have a timetable for removing the mold or how much it will cost. He says, in the meantime, the plan is to create new sleeping quarters downstairs at the station so fire crews can stay the night.
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.