Water and lots of it.
This is what will be needed to put out a fire in your home if something goes wrong.
But there are things you can do in order to prevent a disaster during the holidays.
Danny Kuhlmann, Special Operations Chief of Columbia County says, "If you get a space heater if it's a fuel type make sure you use the proper fuel for it. Space means it needs space. You need at least three feet of space all around it. Don't leave small children or dogs or pets around it. Make sure you turn it off before you go to bed."
When it comes to space heaters chief Kuhlmann says to choose wisely when picking out one for your home.
"They need to have
some type of guard on the front of them to keep little kids from putting
anything in them and they need to have the fall-over protection," said Kuhlmann.
But what about plugging those heaters into outlets in your living room?
Most people buy surge protectors off store shelves.
And chief Kuhlmann says one of the warning signs of a faulty surge protector is overheating.
Jason Nappi, meteorologist, says, "If your surge protector gets too hot the safest thing to do is to unplug it from the wall outlet."
With relatives coming into your home for the holidays soon chief Kuhlmann says to have your heating system checked and to make sure it's in good operating condition. That includes..
"The fireplace, the chimney needs to be looked at by a certified chimney sweep," said Kuhlmann.
But that's not all, last but definitely not least.
"Smoke detectors, smoke detectors, smoke detectors you can't say enough about them. Make sure the batteries are fresh in them. Make sure they are clean. Make sure they operate," said Kuhlmann.
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.