NC counties told to hold Work First applications - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

NC counties told to hold Work First applications

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

North Carolina's government suspended a welfare program for the unemployed and underemployed Monday because there was no guarantee the federal government would reimburse the state for benefits until the partial shutdown in Washington ends.

The state Department of Health and Human Services directed county social service offices to no longer process or approve Work First applications they receive. The department also suspended the renewal of current Work First participants.

October cash payments have already been transmitted to people eligible for Work First, department spokeswoman Julie Henry said, so people would only miss benefits if the shutdown extends into November. More than 20,700 people received Work First services in September, including $4.8 million in payments, Henry said.

North Carolina may be the only state in the country that has currently stopped processing applications, according to an expert that monitors welfare programs nationwide.

"It just means people will have to wait longer for benefits," said Elizabeth Lower-Basch, a senior policy analyst for CLASP, a Washington-based group advocating for policies to help the poor. She said her group wasn't aware of any other state deciding to stop processing applications.

Block-grant funds to the states to operate their welfare programs weren't authorized after Sept. 30, and Congress failed to agree on legislation to extend government spending into the new federal fiscal year, prompting the shutdown.

North Carolina and other states received letters saying they could choose to spend state funds in the meantime and hope Congress would reimburse when the block funding through Temporary Assistance for Needy Families was restored. But the letter's language was too tentative for DHHS officials in Raleigh to justify spending state funds, according to Henry.

"It was just not a concrete enough assurance," Henry said. The state decided to use their leftover TANF funds to continue child welfare and protective service programs, she said. If the shutdown ends later in the month, applications will be processed toward getting applicants their benefits on time, she said.

Lower-Basch said government officials in a few other states have said they aren't going to pay benefits in November, but are continuing to process the applications. Arizona stopped making TANF cash assistance checks to low-income families in early October after federal funds dried up, but resumed the check-writing when it located other funds to use through the end of the month.

Lower-Basch said she couldn't imagine Congress refusing to pass a TANF reauthorization bill without reimbursing states that kept paying benefits to welfare recipients during the shutdown. "We all hope this gets resolved real soon," she said.

Families who qualify for Work First receive one-time cash benefits of up to three months. Parents who register with an employment assistance program and sign an agreement can keep receiving benefits for up to 24 months if they keep working, get training or perform community service.

Last week, DHHS said it was halting its supplemental food voucher program for poor women and their young children due to the shutdown. But the agency announced two days later the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children program would resume issuing benefits the next day because officials had located money to operate it through October. At the time, North Carolina was the only state to halt its WIC program, which helps 264,000 women and children monthly.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • UNC: Former athletes can return to finish degrees

    UNC: Former athletes can return to finish degrees

    Thursday, July 24 2014 1:04 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:04:36 GMT
    UNC Chancellor Carol Folt. (File photo)UNC Chancellor Carol Folt. (File photo)
    University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol Folt announced a new program Thursday that will allow former UNC athletes to return and finish their uncompleted degrees.
    University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol Folt announced a new program Thursday that will allow former UNC athletes to return and finish their uncompleted degrees.
  • 3 young siblings die after SUV in carjacking hits them; manhunt on for suspects

    3 young siblings die after SUV in carjacking hits them; manhunt on for suspects

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:10 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:10:14 GMT
    The SUV crashed in some woods close to where it hit the 3 children... CBS Newspath photoThe SUV crashed in some woods close to where it hit the 3 children... CBS Newspath photo
    Two men carjacked a woman at gunpoint but soon sped out of control, killing three children Friday as they plowed into a group selling fruit to raise money for their church, Philadelphia police said.
    Two men carjacked a woman at gunpoint but soon sped out of control, killing three children Friday as they plowed into a group selling fruit to raise money for their church, Philadelphia police said.
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.