Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice' - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

Former Bucs cheerleader on 'The Voice'

Posted: Updated:

A former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cheerleader is getting her next chance in the spotlight on NBC's "The Voice."

The R&B singer Donna Allen, 54, grew up in Tampa and now lives in Hollywood, Fla. Allen spent nine years working with Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.  About 25 years later, she's the oldest contestant on NBC's hit singing competition show.

Monday night on NBC, Allen talked about her experience with Estefan.

"I've learned so much from her," she said.

Allen stopped touring to raise her son Marcus, because she wanted to see him take his first steps and watch him go to school. But a family did not stop her love of music.

"I did sing while I was raising my son," Allen said. "So, I never gave up on myself."

Her son, Marcus, is thrilled for his mother's next step.

"It's nice to see you're finally getting on the next level," he said.

Monday night, she impressed judges Adam Levine and Christina Aguilera with her rendition of "You Are So Beautiful."

Seconds into her performance, both Levine and Aguilera signaled they wanted Allen for their singing competition teams.  Both showered Allen with compliments in hopes she would pick them.

"You are so beautiful to me," Christina Aguilera said. "That voice was like the heavens opening up. I hope your journey is with me."

Adam Levine compared her to Whitney Houston and Tina Turner.

"I felt like we were at the end of the season. I want you on my team," said Levine.

After a few tense moments, Allen picked Levine to be her coach on "The Voice" and leapt into his arms when he hugged her.

"I'm hoping ‘The Voice' will help me complete my journey," Allen said. "It's been 25 years. I've waited long enough. This is for me and my son."

You can watch "The Voice" on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. on WFLA NewsChannel 8.

CLICK ON THE COACH TO SEE THEIR TEAM

• NewsMore>>

St. Pete man will relocate bees for free

Monday, July 28 2014 11:39 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:39:17 GMT
    Mr NaturalsMr Naturals
    He's a carpenter by day, but bees are his passion.
    He's a carpenter by day, but bees are his passion.

Teen killed by stray bullet in Manatee shooting

Monday, July 28 2014 9:53 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:53:32 GMT
    A shooting was reported at the intersection of the US Highway 301 and University Parkway early Monday morning where a 17-year-old was struck by a bullet and killed, Manatee County Sheriff's Office said.

Plane lands on Venice beach kills father, injures daughter, 9

Monday, July 28 2014 9:38 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:38:30 GMT
    Man killed and his daughter was critical injured when they were hit by a plane making a crash landing on Caspersen Beach in Venice.Man killed and his daughter was critical injured when they were hit by a plane making a crash landing on Caspersen Beach in Venice.
    An emergency landing by a small plane on Caspersen Beach in Venice claimed the life of a man walking with his young daughter Sunday, the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office said.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

VIDEO: Sea turtles hatch in the Keys

Monday, July 28 2014 8:09 AM EDT2014-07-28 12:09:17 GMT
    Look at them go - these tiny sea turtles hatched in the Keys this weekend.
    Look at them go - these tiny sea turtles hatched in the Keys this weekend.

16 Old Wives' Tales We've All Heard

Wednesday, July 16 2014 2:11 PM EDT2014-07-16 18:11:56 GMT
    Here are some of the common old wives' tales that we still hear today.
    Here are some of the common old wives' tales that we still hear today.

PHOTOS: Savannah Woman Celebrates her 105th Birthday

Friday, July 25 2014 3:11 PM EDT2014-07-25 19:11:27 GMT
    On Friday, Mrs. Isabel Hansen Coons, celebrated her 105th birthday with a big bash at Summer Breeze Senior Living on Wilmington Island.Mrs. Coons was born in 1909 and has been a resident of Savannah since 1986. Staff at Summer Breeze Senior Living say she is spirited, competitive and full off insightful advice. They add that Mrs. Coons attributes her longevity to 'moderation.'Happy Birthday Mrs. Coons!
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.