18 people treated, released after pool chemical situation at Myr - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

18 people treated, released after pool chemical situation at Myrtle Beach resort

Posted: Updated:
Photo by AJ Javanel/WBTW Photo by AJ Javanel/WBTW

Multiple patients were taken to area hospitals after fire and rescue officials responded to the scene of a hazardous materials incident at a resort in Myrtle Beach on Monday night.

Bob Derr, a Battalion Chief with Myrtle Beach Fire Department, said the incident occurred when a Landmark Resort employee mistakenly mixed chlorine and muriatic acid in the pool maintenance room.

18 people were evaluated for respiratory problems from the chemical vapors from the mixture, he added.

Derr says that of the 18 evaluated, an employee and 11 guests were taken to area hospitals.

Joan Carozza with Grand Strand Regional Medical Center said all patients were treated and released after complaining of respiratory problems .

The vapors were first noticed around 7:45 p.m.. and streets were closed in the area, with pedestrians not allowed to even walk near the hotel.

Derr said that by 9:00 p.m. the pool maintenance room had been isolated and people were allowed to come and go from the resort; however side entrances and beach access were still closed to the public.

Pool chemical experts were on the scene by 9 p.m. as well, to remove the hazardous chemicals from the site.


Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.