Clemson, SC—Clemson freshman Ashlan Ramsey is ranked as the number-one women's amateur golfer in the world according to Golfweek rankings released on Tuesday. Ramsey will be the leader of Clemson's women's golf program that will begin play at the Cougar Classic in Charleston, SC September 8.
Ramsey overtook Lydia Ko, a 15-year from New Zealand, for the number-one spot in Tuesday's rankings. Ramsey is ranked first with 5750 points, while Ko is second with 5300. Ramsey is the only college player listed among the top four.
Ramsey is originally from Martinez and played much of her junior golf in the CSRA.
Ramsey has played in eight events this summer and has finished first five times, second twice and tied for fifth once. She won the Georgia Amateur Match Play and the Georgia Amateur in terms of stroke play. She also won the Western Amateur and the Eastern Amateur. She was also the medalist at the US Amateur qualifier as listed above and finished second at the Trans America Amateur.
Ramsey played for the United States in the Junior Solheim Cup at Inverness Golf Club in Englewood, CO today. Playing with teammate Karen Chung of Southern California, Ramsey halved her morning Four Ball Match against the European team of Bronte Law and Emily Pedersen.
Ramsey made a 10-foot putt for birdie on the 17th hole to put the US up by one hole. But Pedersen responded with a birdie on the last hole for Europe to halve the match.
Top 10 Women Amateur Golfers in World
(August 13, 2013 by Golfweek)
Rk Name Hometown School Pts
1. Ashlan Ramsey Milledgeville, GA Clemson 5750
2. Lydia Ko New Zealand High School 5300
3. Cindy Feng Orlando, FL High School 3900
4. Georgia Hall England High School 2800
5. Doris Chen Brandenton, FL Southern Cal 2700
6. Emma Talley Princeton, KY Alabama 2400
7. Ally McDonald Fulton, MS Miss. State 2300
8. Brooke Henderson Kennewide, WA High School 2250
9. Kelly Shon Port Washington, NY Princeton 2200
10. Hally Leadbetter Bradenton, FL Arkansas 1800
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.