"I caught the newborn baby from falling. Before it had hit the ground, I had caught it," says 10-year-old Zna Gresham.
ZSna says she just did what was asked after she ran out of her burning apartment to safety outside. "Then, when I was getting out, the lady from upstairs...she was dropping her babies and she asked me and my sister can she get the babies for her," she says.
Before firefighters got to the newborn, the 1-month-old baby landed in the safe embrace of this young hero...who refuses to take all the credit.
"It took all of my family to help get the babies out and help save a family," says Zna.
Zna credits the action of her auntie, Tasha Allen, as what began the string of rescues. "And, by me holding the door open, everybody got out ok," Allen says.
Dekalb County firefighters were on scene within 5 minutes of the 9-1-1 call, pulling residents to safety and knocking the blaze down quickly.
"If it wasn't for God, we wouldn't be here right now, so I really do, I thank God," says Allen.
The fire started in Allen's downstairs apartment...an apparent grease fire in the kitchen. One unit is a loss, and 3 others were damaged, displacing more than a dozen people, but not their spirit.
"In our family, we take care of our neighbors no matter what. No matter if they get hurt or anything, we take care of them," Zna says.
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.