Officials explain how girl was fatally shocked in pool by nearby - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

Officials explain how girl was fatally shocked in pool by nearby power line

Posted: Updated:
LEXINGTON, NC -

An 11-year-old girl died when a power line fell near a pool while she was having swim practice in on Tuesday evening.

 The incident happened at Brookside Swim Club near Lexington, NC around 8 pm, WFMY-TV reported.

Now officials are explaining how it happened and why the young girl died when 2 other children in the pool at the time were OK.

The incident killed Lauren Cecil when the power line snapped and sent a high voltage current through the water, the TV station reported.

The president of Brookside Swim Club, Julie Rhodes, told WFMY that people at the pool heard a loud "pop" and saw a power line about 60 feet in front of the swim club fence fall in the parking lot.

The wire did not actually fall into the pool, and Rhodes told WFMY that said she has no idea how the electrical charge would have moved from the parking lot to the pool.

Brad Needham, Lexington County's Fire Marshal, said that the ground saturated by recent rain was a factor and caused metal pipes in the ground to become energized, according to the Lexington Dispatch.

 Needham also told the newspaper that the metal pipes and other items in the ground ultimately caused the pool to be energized.

Rhodes said several other children in the pool at the time of the pop, and three were in the pool in the moments before the electric shock went through the water, according to the TV station.

They were not immediately told to get out because the wire had not fallen in the pool, Rhodes told WFMY-TV.

 When some of the children started saying the pool felt "funny," lifeguards told them to get out.

Two of the children jumped out, but Lauren grabbed the ladder by the 3-feet deep end of the pool.

Officials said Thursday that grabbing the metal ladder, which acted as a conductor, is what caused Lauren's fatal shock.

Lifeguards, a swim coach and Rhodes were shocked when they tried to grab Lauren from the ladder, according to WFMY. Her head was held out of the water by a boogey board, until they could pull her out.

Lauren's mother was at the pool and witnessed the event. Rhodes said she ran over to her daughter when she started struggling.

EMS arrived and did CPR until they got Lauren to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Lauren's funeral is planned for at 11 a.m. Friday at Holly Grove Lutheran Church, where she was a member. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.

"Lauren was a child who was loved as much as any child in this world could be loved," her obituary said.

"Lauren was sunshine to her family and had a unique love for her family and friends. She would have been in the sixth grade at Central Davidson Middle School and was a member of Girls on the Run, Brookside Swim Team and loved anything to do with water, including fishing at the lake.'

Zip Code Weather!
Get a local weather report and a 10-day forecast by typing in your zip code!
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.