Dept. of Public Safety changing prison's Home Leave Program - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

NC toughens rules for inmates' home leaves

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The state Department of Public Safety is making it tougher for inmates nearing the end of their sentences to make home visits. But the move falls short of a request by North Carolina prosecutors that the governor scrap the program.
    
Gov. Pat McCrory approved changes that include notifying both the victim and the district attorney each time an inmate goes on home leave, DPS officials said in a news release Wednesday. Other changes would bar sex offenders from the program and not allow inmates serving a life sentence to participate unless they have a parole date.
    
"With these modifications, the Home Leave Program will continue to serve as a useful tool to assist an inmate in transitioning from prison to home, while additionally serving to reduce recidivism," DPS Secretary Kieran Shanahan said in the statement Wednesday.
    
The North Carolina Conference of District Attorneys had asked McCrory to end the program, saying it puts public safety at risk and denies justice to victims' families.  McCrory's administration defended the practice last week, calling it a well-regulated program that plays a necessary role in rehabilitation.
    
Crime victims and their families are offended by the program, said Phil Berger Jr., president of the DAs conference.
    
The changes are "a good first step in eliminating the home leave program," he said. "But the people I've spoken to across North Carolina have serious concerns about letting murderers, violent felons and habitual felons out of prison for the weekends, and this type of policy just erodes the public's confidence in the criminal justice system."
    
Under the program, some minimum-security inmates with good disciplinary records can make home visits within a year of their release to help ease re-entry into the outside world. The policy has allowed more than 2,000 convicted felons to go home briefly since 2008, according to the district attorneys.
    
The program has been around for decades, but prosecutors said they only recently learned how widely it's used. The conservative Civitas Institute analyzed a recent weekend for prosecutors and found 149 convicted felons were allowed to leave prison facilities. Of those, 36 were convicted of murder and 13 had been sentenced to life in prison.
  

RELATED ARTICLES

NC officials cancel prison leave news conference

 

  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • What's happening to Common Core in NC?

    What's happening to Common Core in NC?

    Sunday, August 31 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-08-31 20:06:55 GMT
    File PhotoFile Photo
    The General Assembly passed a law this summer opponents of Common Core hope will derail its use in North Carolina's public schools.
    The General Assembly passed a law this summer opponents of Common Core hope will derail its use in North Carolina's public schools.
  • Missing snow globe leads to dropped murder charge

    Missing snow globe leads to dropped murder charge

    Sunday, August 31 2014 12:46 PM EDT2014-08-31 16:46:31 GMT
    A judge dropped a murder charge against a Burke County man accused of killing his stepfather.
    A judge dropped a murder charge against a Burke County man accused of killing his stepfather.
  • 2 charged in fatal Rocky Mount strip club shooting

    2 charged in fatal Rocky Mount strip club shooting

    Saturday, August 30 2014 1:36 PM EDT2014-08-30 17:36:29 GMT
    Investigators say they have charged two men in a shooting death outside of a strip club in Rocky Mount.
    Investigators say they have charged two men in a shooting death outside of a strip club in Rocky Mount.
Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664
Email: talkback6@wjbf.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.