SC Will Soon Require CO Detectors In Homes, Hotels
Carbon monoxide is called the "silent killer" for a reason. Most people don't think about carbon monoxide because they can't see, taste or smell it, but each year the poisonous gas claims hundreds of lives.
"Sometimes it is mistaken for the flu or a simple illness. People don't realize they are being affected by the CO," said Senior Deputy Fire Marshal Will Smart for the City of Spartanburg.
Officials say the best way to protect you and your family is to install a CO detector in your house.
According to the Carbon Monoxide Safety Association, North Carolina is among 27 states that require CO alarms in new homes, but it does not require them in hotels.
South Carolina will soon require carbon monoxide detectors and alarms.
The state is adopting a new set of building codes that go into effect July 1.
Smart says new and existing homes, hotels, motels, dormitories and even some apartment dwellings will be required to install CO detectors and alarms.
"It is going to be very costly to anyone doing new construction, and it is going to be very costly to anyone with an existing building," Smart said.
Cost has been one reason why many businesses haven't voluntarily installed CO detectors or alarms.
While the laws differ around the country, Smart is pleased that South Carolina is on alert, and doing something to address a dangerous trend.
NC Health Dept.: Poison Gas Not In Pool Inspection
Inspectors checked a North Carolina motel where three people are presumed killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a pool water heater, but the local health department says the inspection doesn't include checking for the poisonous gas.
The Appalachian District Health Department said Tuesday it inspected the swimming pool at the Best Western Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone six weeks before a Longview, Wash., couple was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in their motel room. Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said the room is near the indoor pool warmed by a natural gas heater.
Eleven-year-old Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday in the same room as the Washington couple, 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.
Report: Gas In NC Motel Where Boy, 2 Others Died
North Carolina investigators are checking whether potentially lethal carbon monoxide was found in a motel room where an 11-year-old South Carolina boy died this weekend and two other guests were found dead almost two months ago.
WCNC in Charlotte reports that the Watauga County Health Department found carbon monoxide at the Boone motel where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday. His mother 49-year-old Jeannie Williams was rushed to a hospital.
Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said their room at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza is near a natural gas heater for the indoor pool.
A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room on April 16. They were 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.
A health department spokeswoman declined comment.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
1336 Augusta West Parkway
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.