The warmer weather means more North Carolinians will be lighting up their grills.
But with grills, whether propane or charcoal, there are tips you should follow to make sure everyone is safe and to avoid any tragedy, a tragedy like the one that happened to ESPN's Hannah Storm.
"My understanding, with what happened with her is she didn't raise the lid before she lit it and the grill accumulated gas inside and then when she did raise the lid to light it, it flashed," explained Deputy Fire Marshal Ronald Campbell.
Campbell adds, what happened to Storm happens more often than you may think.
"Nationwide annually there are about 7,100 gas grill fires," Campbell says.
Storm suffered second degree burns on her chest and hands and first degree burns to her neck and face.
She lost her eye brows, eye lashes and half her hair. Luckily she was able to recover, and eventually make it back to work.
Campbell say with grilling season here, there are a few things everyone needs to know when it comes to using a gas grill.
"When you go to light the grill, you obviously want to turn the grill on, turning it off when you're done using it raise the lid and light it, according to the grills instructions," says Campbell.
It might sound like common sense but it could save your life. Another reminder, if you're just now starting to use your grill, make sure you check the connection hoses for any cracks.
About 10 people die a year nationwide from gas gill fires.
Phil anchors WNCN Today weekday mornings starting at 5! In his “Phil Fills In” series, he highlights interesting and entertaining careers by giving them a try. If you’d like Phil to fill in for you, contact him!