Augusta Doctor Finished Marathon Moments Before Explosion - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

Augusta Doctor Finished Marathon Moments Before Explosion

Posted: Updated:
Augusta, GA -

We talked to Doctor Mike Rogers about his experience up in Boston. Rogers is an orthodontist in Augusta. He and his wife Beth are back home and they are sharing their story about how he crossed the finish line one minute and twenty seconds before the first explosion.

Mike is just happy to see his family again after running in the Boston Marathon on Monday. After finishing the race, Mike says he grabbed his medal and walked a block away from the finish line.

"I heard a boom. That was the first explosion. I looked at the man next to me, I think he was from another country, and I said I think that was an explosion. He said I think you're right. And then we turned back and definitely, totally saw the second explosion. We saw the smoke from the first one and then the second one right behind us," says Mike.

Rogers says he immediately ran out of the area to look for his cell phone so he could connect with his wife Beth.

"The number one fear I had was that she might be at the finish line because she was going to watch me cross. And they had just blown up the finish line and so that was... my heart was just sinking thinking about that," says Mike.

And Beth would have been at the finish line, but she says the area was more crowded than usual... so she left. However, Beth says she had been following her husband's progress through her cell phone, so when the explosions happened, she was aware that Mike had just finished the race.

"So I knew that he was either at the finish line or after, he was you know, on that side of it. I knew he wasn't coming in. So I knew he was close," says Beth.

Mike says he was unable to call his wife, but he says he did get a text message through to her to let her know he was okay.

"I was, first of all, so glad that he was okay. But then... get out of there. You know, you just don't know what is the safest place," says Beth.

The couple decided to meet each other at their hotel. Mike says it took him a few hours to get there, but he says he gave his wife one of the biggest hugs when he finally saw her. And now that he is back in Augusta, he's had plenty of time to think about how hard he pushed himself to keep running, even though he had leg cramps.

"The more I think about that the more I think if I had just slowed down and not been shooting for that 4:10 goal. Maybe if I had let the cramps over come me and maybe If I had finished 4:11. Whatever. I don't know. I probably would have been right in the midst of everything," says Mike.

Mike says that he did ask a police officer if he should help the victims because he is a dentist, but the police officer told him they had enough help and that he should go back to his hotel.

Powered by WorldNow

1336 Augusta West Parkway
Augusta, GA 30909

Telephone: 706.722.6664

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.