AIKEN, S.C. (WJBF) -- A new baseball season in the CSRA begins Friday with both Augusta University and USC Aiken hosting their season openers.
The Pacers are coming off back-to-back 40 win seasons and a fourth trip to the NCAA tournament in the past five years, but despite several key players returning, the Pacers aren't receiving as much national attention as they are accustomed to. They enter the year ranked No. 34, according to the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, and were selected to finish fourth in the Peach Belt Conference.
"I've heard [our players] whispering a little," USC Aiken head coach, Kenny Thomas, said. "I even heard one the other day say 'I'm glad we're not ranked high this year.' It gets to a point where you expect it, but this year we didn't get that, so we have a little more to prove."
"I think it gives us an opportunity to show people what we can do," senior first baseman, Brian Parreria, said. "I'm excited to see what we can do. I think we have a shot at winning a national title, and that's everyone's goal, so we're all on the same page."
The Pacers open their season with a three-game series against Lincoln Memorial. First pitch for Friday's game is set for 4:00 p.m.
Augusta's season opener against West Georgia is set for a 3:00 p.m. first pitch at Lake Olmstead Stadium.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Loved ones, strangers release balloons in honor of LaTania Janell Carwell
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round