THOMSON, Ga. (WJBF Sports) -- Thomson's Christian Tutt has been one of the most heavily recruited high school football players in the CSRA in recent history. During his freshman season, Tutt earned a five-star designation -- the highest possible ranking for a recruit. Ever since that point, the defensive back has received Division I scholarship offers from many of the nation's top programs.
Tuesday afternoon Tutt ended his long, high profile recruitment by choosing one of those big time programs: Auburn University.
"Coach Malzahn -- for the next couple of years, he's going to have a good team," Tutt smiled, while discussing his choice. "And the situation that they're in right now, they need cornerbacks. It's SEC ball and I'm three hours away from home, so it was just a perfect match for me."
But football aside, this day was also for Christian's older brother, Christopher, who passed away last summer in a car accident.
"My emotions were high today," Christian said. "You know, I was thinking about my brother a lot and I wish he could be here but ya know at least he got the chance to walk into the stadium with me, so that meant a lot to me."
Tutt said he will make his verbal commitment official when he signs with Auburn University next month.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- JENNIE: Mickey Lubeck and MTW present Junie B. Jones the Musical
- Aiken parents asked to collaborate with school leaders on all sixth-grade middle school
- School upgrades funded by one-cent sales tax, $90M bond referendum quick fix for outdated facilities
- Local women beat addiction and bring hope in recovery
- Winter: the dolphin whose spirit and will to survive inspired Dolphin Tale
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round