AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF Sports) - Aquinas already made it to the Final Four for the first time since 2013 with Ahmed Hill, but now the Irish are focusing on winning its first state championship in program history.
"It's a blessing because all three years I haven't got to this point yet," senior Tre Gomillion said. "But it's a blessing to get to this point my senior year and go out with a bang."
Gomillion and fellow senior teammate Trent Bowdre share a special connection with second-year Aquinas head coach Darren Douglas, who coached team on the AAU level in 7th and 8th grade.
"He's like a second father," Bowdre said. "I can come to him with anything. Me and him don't always click but at the end of the day, we love each other."
That history together would certainly add to the experience of capturing a title on Friday.
"We wanna soak it in," Douglas said. "I'll never get to coach these seniors again. It's been a really long ride and I'm just happy. Like Tre and Trent and some of those guys I've known since 7th grade and to be able to have a chance to finish it with a championship is just awesome."
Aquinas plays St. Francis at Georgia Tech for the GHSA Class A private school title. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 4 p.m. Tune in to WJBF NewsChannel 6 at 11 p.m. for the championship recap.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Loved ones, strangers release balloons in honor of LaTania Janell Carwell
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round