WFLA Staff - St. Petersburg, FL (WFLA) - A 12-year-old boy who has been arrested more than 20 times was arrested again on Monday. Police say he stole a car from an 89-year-old man.
On Friday, Dec. 11, Raymond Raftery, age 89, was driving his Toyota, when a 12-year-old boy on a bicycle told him that his tire was low on air. Detectives say when Raftery pulled up to an air pump and got out of the car, the boy ditched his bike, jumped in the car and drove off. Raftery was not injured.
A St. Petersburg Police Department detective recognized the boy and he was arrested Monday afternoon and charged with grand theft motor vehicle. Detectives say the boy has been arrested more than 20 times.
Police say they do not have any other similar cases, but they want the public to be aware of this latest auto theft scheme.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Loved ones, strangers release balloons in honor of LaTania Janell Carwell
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round