Greenville, SC (WSPA) - A Greenville Police Department spokesperson says an officer was shot and killed near the 300 block of Laurens Road around 12:30 p.m.
Chief Ken Miller says officers were serving a warrant on a self-admitted gang member. The suspect reportedly ran from them down Rebecca Street and opened fire on the officer, hitting him several times.
The officer later died at Greenville Memorial Hospital. The officer's name is not being released until the family is notified.
Police say the suspect shot and killed himself on Swamp Rabbit Trail. They think the suspect called his mom right before they shot himself.
Police describe the officer as dedicated and worked on gang activity.
There are few details right now, but we will update you on the app as soon as we get more information.
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round