WJBF Staff - SOUTH CAROLINA (WJBF) - All state troopers in South Carolina may soon start carrying semi-automatic rifles.
The shotguns they currently carry have a low ammo capacity, and a shorter firing range.
The patrol's commander putting in a budget request for 600 rifles so troopers can respond to active shooter situations.
About 200 already have the semi-automatics as part of an emergency response team.
50 of them bought their own.
North Augusta city council voting on...
Georgia executes man known as...
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- North Augusta city council voting on trolley purchase, increasing parking fines Monday
- Aiken area provides scholarships to students for further education
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round