WJBF Staff - AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) - A teenage suspect is behind bars and a deputy is receiving medical attention after a chase in Richmond County.
The chase happened on Tuesday at 7:35 a.m. when deputies were alerted to a stolen vehicle at the intersection of Randall Road and Heard Avenue.
The vehicle was a white 2017 Nissan Altima with a paper tag.
The chase began after deputies attempted a traffic stop of the car.
The chase ended at Cedar Street and Telfair Street when the driver jumped from the car while it was still in motion, and tried to flee on foot.
Deputy trainee Richard Russell chased after the suspect on foot and was accidentally hit by another patrol car as it attempted to swerve to avoid the scene.
Deputy Russell was taken to the hospital for treatment of a potentially broken leg.
The driver of the stolen vehicle was a 16-year-old boy. He's been charged with Felony Fleeing and Attempting to Elude, No License and Theft by Receiving.
The investigation is ongoing.
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round