THOMSON, Ga (WJBF) - At the depot in Thomson, you can see exactly how far to Augusta or to Atlanta, and the importance of Blind Willie McTell. There's this guitar sculpture in his honor and historical marker.
"A blues legend from right here in McDuffie County," said Jason Jones.
"A legend nobody really knew about and all of a sudden he came to light," said Teddy Jackson.
And in the home of a musical legend you need a statue.
There IS one at the Depot. It looks blind but it's not Willie.
"No it's not," said Libby Ansley
But hold the presses, local officials approved seed money to begin the process of funding a Blind Willie statue
"I think it would be great. I think it would be good for Thomson and McDuffie County," said Libby,
'You're happy about it?'
"Oh yeah," she said.
"Bring a lot of people here to learn about Blind Willie," said Teddy,
'It would make you happy?'
"Oh yeah very happy," he said.
Happy for a bluesman's statue. Is that even possible?
'Can you be happy about a statue for a guy who sang the blues?'
"Yeah you can," said Dana Jones.
"Yeah I think you can be happy, the blues is the blues, its happy music for me," said Bobby Foust, visiting Thomson from Franklin North Carolina.
Blind Willie was born in and is buried in the Happy Valley section of the county. So be happy, and sing the blues.
Happy about a statue for Blind Willie...Out There somewhere in Thomson George Eskola WJBF NewsChannel 6.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Aiken area provides scholarships to students for further education
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round