AUGUSTA-- A Richmond County high school senior is setting the bar high for students, giving back to their community.
After raising tens-of-thousands of dollars for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Meg Macuch is being honored with the Giving Your Best award.
Jennie: "For the work you have done to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, so this is for you!"
For Meg Macuch, raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is personal.
"Several of my family members have battled cancer and my Uncle Paul actually lost his battle with leukemia a little while ago, so it was in his honor that we did it."
Meg was part of the CSRA's inaugural class of student ambassadors raising money across the country for LLS.
Bobbie Jo Bates is the local campaign director.
"Students across the nation raised over $6,000,000 last year, and I thought, 'We can do this in Augusta, we've got a lot of great students and a lot of great families, and good community,' so I thought WHY NOT?"
Through lots and lots of letter writing, Meg and her team raised more than $50,000 for LLS.
"A lot of people are going through similar things and they're going to be hopefully helped out by this -- or inspired to help out by this."
Meg is inspired by her parents.
"I know they are involved in a lot of different organizations and I want to get involved in everything from helping fund cancer research to helping in soup kitchens and things like that."
And how does it make Bobbie Jo feel to see students, like Meg, who step up?
"It's amazing - I am continually impressed everyday at their work ethic and their commitment and their families' commitment to see them do something well in the community, and it means something to them. So it's truly an honor for me to be able to partner with them and see them do their best."
Business owner raising money for...
St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Loved ones, strangers release balloons in honor of LaTania Janell Carwell
- Family, friends reflect on couple killed in McDuffie County
- Possible cat hoarding case: Neighbors want change
- Augusta new logo do you have it in green?
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round