Today Fort Gordon will hold one of several observances marking the upcoming anniversary of the 9-11 terror attacks.
This morning at 8:46 a.m., the military post will observe two minutes of silence in memory of the fallen.
Cannons will fire and sirens will sound simulating the first strike on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.
At that time, all flags on post will be lowered to half staff.
Once the sirens have ended, Taps will begin to play, and those in attendance will join in a prayer.
The Fort Gordon observance is one of several scheduled for today.
There will be a special ceremony at the Augusta Common and a remembrance ceremony at the Columbia County Military Memorial.
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round