On Monday, crews responded to an accident with minor injuries where a tanker overturned leaking ethanol into the road.
The accident happened in South Augusta on Doug Barnard Pkwy at the intersection of I-520, Bobby Jones Expressway. We are told the driver was headed North (away from the airport, towards town) on Doug Barnard Parkway and the tanker flipped when he tried to turn left onto I-520.
According to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, the tanker was carrying 8,000 gallons of ethanol fuel and the crash caused it to leak in the road. Officials told us there was no hazard to the public and no evacuations. However, deputies blocked off about a half mile stretch of Doug Barnard as well as both the on and off ramps to 520 while crews cleared the scene. The clean up process lasted roughly 5 hours. The accident happened around 9:40AM and all lanes were open at about 2:30PM.
Georgia State Patrol says the driver of the tanker was identified as 42 year old Kendrick Geter. They say he sustained minor injuries in the accident and there are charges pending against him at this time.
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round