AUGUSTA (WJBF) — Augusta's longest serving fire chief has passed away.
Former chief Willie Lee Maddox died Thursday.
Maddox was an Augusta firefighters for 43 years. He was born and raised in the Harriburg neighborhood of Augusta.
He joined the Augusta Fire Department in 1953 and held the position as fire chief from 1973 until his retirement in 1996.
Augusta officials say one of his greatest accomplishments was helping the department transition when Richmond County and Augusta consolidated.
In 1996, he was the first chief of the newly formed Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department.
The Augusta Fire Department sent us this statement:
"During his tenure, Chief Maddox was known as a firm, but fair, leader who is credited with the success of many firefighters who remain with the Augusta Fire Department. Chief Maddox was a leader who expected the best from everyone and did not settle for less. Chief Maddox set the standard of excellence for the current leadership and suppression. His influence is ingrained in our department forever.
Flags at the Augusta Fire Department headquarters and fire stations are being lowered in honor and memory of Former Chief Willie Lee Maddox.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Local artist creates a foundation to help foster children
- 28 years missing: The Millbrook twins' family still searching for answers
- North Augusta man dead following single car crash
- Augusta woman with mental challenges missing from home
- Family to hold prayer vigil for twin girls missing since 1990
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round