AIKEN, S.C. (WJBF) - On Friday, the City of Aiken received the Prestigious Budget Presentation award for the first time ever.
The City of Aiken is 1 of only 10 South Carolina communities to receive the national honor.
Mayor Rick Osbon says until recently the city's budget hadn't changed since 1955.
Osbon says his staff worked hard to provide a more transparent budget that better communicates to the citizens of Aiken, about how their tax dollars are being spent.
"It really speaks volumes to the degree and level that our staff has responded to our challenge of presenting a budget that contains transparency and fiscal accountability," Osbon told WJBF NewsChannel 6. "The budget is such an important document to the city because that's how we set priorities."
City of Aiken Finance Director Kim Abney says the city will continue submitting its annual budget to the government finance office for review.
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round