Columbia County, GA (WJBF) - WJBF News Channel 6 has learned that several contractors and mortgage companies have filed complaints against Benjamin Bell.
Recently, Columbia County investigators say Bell wrote four bad checks, totaling more than $88,000.
According to an incident report, the banks ended up working out the problems with Bell privately.
He's not facing any charges.
However, we found out that Bell has a history of financial problems by searching through the Columbia County Court System.
His banks were seeking garnishments from him in 2013 totaling hundreds of thousand of dollars.
Contractors were also looking for money.
All of these items are connected to his business and his home in Evans.
Now, his ex-wife is seeking a contempt of court order for non-payment in hundreds of thousands of dollars for things like their house and their business.
His ex-wife's family tells me as part of their divorce, Bell was supposed to pay her for certain things.
They say she's also owed more than $400,000 for The Lights of the South business that she started.
According to officials with Cedar Rock Holdings, Lights of the South and Scuttle's Island are now owned by them.
Which means at this point, Bell has no say in either business.
We tried to reach out to Bell. We called him -- even went to his house -- but we haven't heard back from him.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Loved ones, strangers release balloons in honor of LaTania Janell Carwell
- Family, friends reflect on couple killed in McDuffie County
- Possible cat hoarding case: Neighbors want change
- Augusta new logo do you have it in green?
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round