AUGUSTA -- Augusta is America's ninth-best "Value City" for travel in 2016 according to trivago.com, a search engine that helps visitors find hotel deals.
In a press release, the site said "American travelers are craving small town comfort and charm. Travel interest to towns with fewer than 50 hotels has been on the rise throughout 2014 and 2015, as Americans seek out less crowded and more budget-friendly destinations."
To reach its findings, the site used a combination of consumer ratings and hotel prices with a top score of 100. Cities with more than 50 hotels, like Augusta, are included in the "Best Value Cities" index. Cities with less than 50 hotels were considered in the "Best Value Small Town" category.
Branson, Missouri topped the list with Macon, Georgia second:
- Branson, MO 90.50
- Macon, GA 89.80
- Montgomery, AL 89.51
- Wichita, KS 89.21
- Sioux Falls, SD 89.17
- Lincoln, NE 88.98
- Springfield, MO 88.00
- Little Rock, AR 87.88
- Augusta, GA 87.83
- Tulsa, OK 87.77
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits