KXAN Staff - Austin, TX (KXAN) - The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners is investigating the death of a baby girl who died after receiving dental treatment at Austin Children's Dentistry in northwest Austin Tuesday.
The Travis County Medical Examiner's Office says 14-month-old Daisy Lynn Torres was taken to the North Austin Medical Center following a procedure at the dental office. Austin-Travis County EMS confirms they transported a baby girl from the dental office to the hospital around 7 a.m. The ME's Office says the baby died five hours later. The child's cause of death is still being determined pending the outcome of an autopsy, which is being done Wednesday.
A family friend started a fundraising site for the child's mother. In the post, she says the child's visit was for a cavity filling.
Sarah Marshall, a spokesperson for Austin Children's Dentistry, says the child's death is "a tragedy" and indicated the girl's visit was for a standard procedure. "[Austin Children's Dentistry] has been in business for 40 years and these are the types of procedures that they handle all the time," explains Marshall. Marshall says a doctor and anesthesiologist were in the room at the time of the procedure.
The company's website shows six doctors on staff, none of which have any disciplinary actions filed against them with the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners. Austin Children's Dentistry operates five locations in Travis County and Williamson County.
The Texas State Board of Dental Examiners says a dentist is required to report a death that could be related to dental treatment within 72 hours.
Click here to search for any disciplinary actions against a Texas dentist.
- Ohio man calls police after pig won't stop following him
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits