AIKEN, S.C. (WJBF) - It was very quiet on Newberry Street, things were just sitting still, but it didn't use to be like this.
"Oh yes, music, food, band you name it," said Jeri Wesner.
But none of that today in Aiken.
"People wonder where it went you know, we heard it was going to get bigger, it's going to get better...never heard anything more about it," said Jon Brotherton.
It was the Lobster Races. An institution in Aiken. A tourist draw. But sorry visitors, the lobsters are not coming out of their shell
"I feel terribly let down I would really like to see the lobster races," said Gennie Richardson, from Advance North Carolina.
But Aiken loves races. There's horses of course, also Woofstock where the dogs take to the track and they crown the fastest Fido.
"Oh yes we will be there tomorrow the winner will win a thousand dollars," said Jeri.
But it's still not lobsters.
"It was kind of silly at first but then it turned into a fun event," said Jon.
So is it time for the lobster races to return? Should they claw their way back to Aiken?
"A lot of people miss it a lot of people want it back it's just a matter of figuring out when and how," said Haley Knight.
"If there is something out there that could be just as fun I'm open for it," said Brotherton.
"People just need to get out there and do something different, and be part of," said Werner
Hey I'm on a lobster roll out there somewhere in Aiken George Eskola WJBF NewsChannel 6.
- Local businesses to host community active shooter workshop
- Annual CSRA Heart Walk raises money to support Heart disease survivors
- Aiken area provides scholarships to students for further education
- Bi-Lo closing 3 stores in CSRA, company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Local woman hosting 3k walk to raise Kidney Disease Awareness in CSRA
- Business owners raising money for funeral of Latania Janell Carwell
- St. Patrick's Day Fun at Brandon Wilde
- Sheriff: Man helped give goat whiskey, cocaine
- VIDEO: Two guys try ‘tall man' trick to get into Black Panther
- Nearly a dozen day care workers say parent's cookies made them high
- Simple sketch helps police identify theft suspect
- Couple inundated with mystery packages wants it to stop
- Owner receives letter granting dog unemployment benefits
- Inside Flat Earth International Conference, where everyone believes Earth isn't round